Chicken Tikka Masala
Check out this super quick and easy Chicken Tikka Masala! Inspired by the delicious flavors of classic Indian cuisine, we used our Marinara Plus to create a healthy and simple meal you can make at home.
You can pair the sauce with any protein or veggies or enjoy it all by its self. Scroll to the bottom for instructions on how to make only the sauce.
For the chicken marinade:
- 16-24 ounces boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, avocado oil or ghee butter
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili (or 1/2 teaspoon ground red chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the Sauce:
- ¾ pouch Marinara Plus (optional Matcha Sriracha for added spice)
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely grated (Ginger powder can be used)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Optional: 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/4 cups of canned coconut milk or other heavy cream (do not mix the coconut milk – the cream and liquid will be separated and you want the cream)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water if needed
- 4 tablespoons Fresh cilantro or coriander to garnish
- In a bowl, combine chicken with all of the ingredients for the chicken marinade; let marinate for 10 minutes to an hour (or overnight if time allows).
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. When sizzling, add chicken pieces in batches of two or three, making sure not to crowd the pan. Take out when cooked 3/4 way through, you will add to the sauce to finish cooking. Set aside when done.
- In the pan you cooked the chicken in, add Marinara Plus over medium heat (optional Matcha Sriracha). Add ginger, garam masala, turmeric powder, cumin and coriander (optional chili powder).
- Stir the cream and sugar into the sauce. Add the chicken back into the pan and bring to a bubble. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick. Pour in the water to thin out the sauce if needed.
- Garnish with cilantro (coriander) and serve with hot garlic rice and fresh homemade Naan bread!
Instructions for just the sauce:
- Add Marinara Plus to the pan over medium heat. Add ginger, garam masala, turmeric powder, cumin and coriander
- Stir the coconut milk (or cream of choice) and sugar into the sauce. Let simmer on low for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add in chicken, beef, pork or veggies and serve over rice!