Shrimp Sauté with Mushrooms, Spinach, & Veggie Soirée on Polenta
This recipe is an approximation of Shrimp and Grits from Capers, a local Little Rock restaurant. The method and presentation elevate a comfort food staple. Our version uses Veggie Soirée and polenta instead of Capers' spicy tomato grits to make it more palatable for young kids whose “SPICY SPICY!” alarm goes off any time they get a hint of pepper. Plus, our veggie sauce adds some extra nutrition into a dish loaded with decadence. During this season of social distancing and many favorite establishments being closed, this was exactly what was required for an elegantly cozy Mother’s Day dinner.
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
Serves: 4 adults
- 1 pouch of Veggie Soirée
- 1 stick of butter
- Mushrooms, white button or baby bella, 6-8 oz, sliced
- Garlic, 2-4 large cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4-5 tablespoons capers, set aside 1 tbsp for serving
- 4 handfuls spinach
- Polenta for serving, 1 pkg, 16-18 oz, or pasta, grits or rice
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Prepare polenta according to package instructions
- Prep veggies: Wash and slice mushrooms. Peel and mince garlic.
- Warm Veggie Soirée, in package, in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes.
- Add half of the butter to saute pan and add garlic. Saute for 2 mins on medium heat.
- Add the rest of the butter and sliced mushrooms then simmer on low/medium heat until mushrooms are fully cooked, approx 10 minutes.
- Add white wine and simmer to reduction, approx 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and capers and saute for 5 minutes, turning shrimp as they cook.
- Add spinach until wilted/cooked.
- To serve, place a mound of polenta in the middle of a serving bowl. Swirl Veggie Soirée around polenta and top with shrimp and veggie mixture. Top with more capers, squeeze more lemon, add some parmesan cheese, if desired.